Culture. Eat it
22 March 2019
cakes and desserts
Yellow. Desert roses cookies with turmeric, coconut and mango powder.
Do you see it too?
It is the color of winter that goes away when spring takes its place.
It is the color of a narcissus, reassuring and familiar. Yellow to embrace change and rekindle the sparkles of snacks in the garden, among flowers and butterflies.
Warm and intense vibrations unravel at each bite of these cookies. The desert roses biscuits the way I like them drive away the gray thoughts to the brightness, giving you the necessary determination to leave behind what you don’t want to take with you in the new season.
All thanks to turmeric, which will make you feel at peace with the world; coconut – wonderful to put you in a bright mood and brighten your mind. Dulcis in fundo, thanks to the mango powder: for an exotic touch like no other (which will also make your taste buds feel sexy).
when winter falls behind the horizon,
grabs turmeric desert roses cookies.
Taste, enjoy it to the full
and let every anxiety fade.
Desert roses cookies with turmeric, coconut and mango powder – the recipe
INGREDIENTS (for 15 desert roses cookies)
- 200 g of plain flour
- 50 g of corn flour
- 50 g of grated coconut
- 100 g of butter
- 2 whole eggs
- 150 g of caster sugar
- 8 g of baking powder
- 50 g of raisins + a tablespoon of rhum
- a spoon of turmeric
- a teaspoon of dried ginger powder
- a teaspoon of mango powder *
- a pinch of salt
- corn flakes q.s.
- icing sugar q.s.
* is a very common spice in India, maybe less common in the other parts of the world – but I’m sure you’ll find it in every organic shop!
How to make desert roses cookies
- Put the raisins to soak in warm water with rhum.
- In a large bowl pour the plain flour and begin to knead along with the cold butter, until you get a sort of “sand” effect.
- Add the baking paper, a pinch of salt, the corn flour, the coconut, the sugar, the turmeric, the ginger and the mango powder. If you don’t want to color your fingers (and nails) with yellow (in pendant with cookies) – turmeric is terrible in this sense – I suggest you to use a food processor or knead with gloves!
- It is time to incorporate the eggs and the raisins. One last stir and the dough is ready to rest for half an hour in the fridge.
- Now all you have to do is to make some “meatballs” of dough and roll them into corn flakes, making them stick well.
- Bake in the oven at 170° C for 15 minutes.
- Once baked, let the biscuits cool completely. The desert roses are all yours, ready to give taste at every bite.
WHILE YOU'RE TASTING LISTEN:
Photos: Sara Cartelli
Once upon a time there was a 30 years old girl, and she has not the slightest idea what it would be at 32: one, no one but for sure no one hundred thousand. Daughter, sister, friend, mom of a dog, woman of an amazing man. Thinker fulltime, practices the Universal Love. Always looking for which direction take to and who to be doing it. Thank God everything flows. Panta Rei. And in the end, as in a beautiful garden Bahai, she will be delighted by lighting… and she lived happily ever after.